Year 10 Work Experience Opportunities and Latest News
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths)
Research Placements with Nuffield Foundation
Nuffield Research Placements (previously Nuffield Science Bursaries) provide over 1,000 students each year with the opportunity to work alongside professional scientists, technologists, engineers and mathematicians.
Students in the first year of a post-16 science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) course are eligible to apply. Placements are available across the UK, in universities, commercial companies, voluntary organisations and research institutions.
Nuffield Research Placements are administered at a regional level by a network of Nuffield coordinators.
We particularly encourage students who don't have a family history of going to university or who attend schools in less well-off areas. We make sure no-one is excluded on a financial basis by covering students' travel costs. Some students may also be eligible for a weekly bursary in addition to travel expenses. Your regional coordinator will be able to advise on eligibility.
Applications for 2017 will close in March.
Thales Crawley are running a work experience for students in school years 11, 12 and 13.
What this week is about - This is a workshop designed to give students a good insight and understanding about a products life cycle. The students spend the week in groups and in these groups they will plan, design, build, test and review a product requested by a ‘customer’.
The groups will have to talk with the customer to discuss the requirements for the product and then work on a design. They then need to produce a working prototype to test against the customers’ requirements.
While this happens, students will also get a tour of our site and have the chance to work in the manufacturing area to solder and produce an electronic kit.
What you can learn from this week -This is a perfect opportunity for students to get an insight into engineering and help students get very useful work experience from a well-recognized company in engineering. This will help massively when applying for apprenticeship places or graduate programmes.
The week will run 31st July to 4th August 2017.
Application deadline is 15th May 2017.
Please click here to download the application form
Please click here for more information
Army 2017 - 2018
University of Sussexs Year 10 Summer School 2017
It’s that time of year again, as we open applications for the University of Sussex’s Year 10 Summer School 2017. As per last year, both weeks will be the same in content, with two strands each running both weeks – ‘Communicating Science’ and ‘Our World’.
Dates for this year’s Summer Schools are as follows:
- Week One - Wednesday 5th July – Friday 7th July 2017
- Week Two - Monday 10th – Wednesday 12th July 2017
Students will experience a mixture of academic sessions within their chosen strand, a tour of the campus, a sports and leisure evening, a chance to hang out in the Student Union, key note lectures around top tips for university and other topics, staying in university accommodation, as well as the chance to speak with our Summer School Ambassadors (who are all current students here at the University of Sussex).
This year we are taking applications online, via the following link: https://goo.gl/forms/uFgZTlXXzIRRlVoJ3
Things to note:
- Application Criteria - Students must be First Generation (first in their family to go to university excluding siblings). Priority will be given to those who meet this criteria unless there are other mitigating circumstances
- Up to 3 places per school – You can pass the link on to as many students as you prefer, however to ensure fairness we will only allocate up to 3 spaces per school per summer school. All applications are a show of interest, and no places are guaranteed until students receive a confirmation letter from us
- Once applications close on Friday 24th March 2017, we will email school coordinators with a list of their students who have applied, so that coordinators can confirm their application and give us more information that might help us
- Places on the Summer School are free of charge, with all accommodation, travel and food paid for
If you have any questions, please do get in touch.
Please click here for the application form for entry September 2017